About SLO Brew
SLO Brew opened its doors in 1988 and has remained one of California’s longest standing brew pubs. Our hand-crafted micro brews, quality dining, and world-class entertainment has made SLO Brew a pivotal component of the Central Coast.
Our history in brewing spans decades and includes numerous gold medal winning beers and the honor of being named “Brew Pub of the Year” at The Great American Beer Festival.
SLO Brew Established
The original SLO Brew, located on Garden Street, was established by Mike Hoffman and Kathy Ireland and featured a billiards hall downstairs, with the brewery and live music upstairs. It was the first brewpub on the Central Coast since prohibition.
Brewpub Of The Year – GABF
SLO Brew takes home the Brewpub of the Year award at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado. That same year we also were awarded two silver and one gold medal for our oatmeal stout, pale ale, and IPA.
Re-Established as SLO Brew
Our current owner Hamish Marshall – a beer loving Aussie who fell in love with SLO – stepped in and revitalized the original SLO Brew name, and has been pushing SLO Brew to better and exciting new heights ever since.
SLO Brew’s New Location
After over 27 years at its original Garden Street location, SLO Brew celebrated its last night on December 31st, 2015 before moving to the newly renovated historic Carissa building on Higuera Street.
SLO Brew Lofts Opens
Located upstairs from the new SLO Brew pub, the spacious SLO Brew Lofts offer the ultimate experience to travelers and locals alike, featuring five suites plus the Carissa Club boardroom and rooftop deck overlooking the San Luis Creek.
SLO Brew is back on the shelves in new 12oz cans for our core beers. Distributed across the Central Coast of California.
SLO Brew Rock Opens
The Rock opens it’s doors, featuring our 30-barrel brewhouse, canning line, and taproom restaurant.
Honors & Awards
- Bronze – Feelin’ Your OatsGreat American Beer Festival (2016)
- Bronze – I.P.A.Great American Beer Festival (2002)
- Silver – SLO ProgressGreat American Beer Festival (2002)
- Silver – Honey BlondeGreat American Beer Festival (2002)
- Brew Pub Of The YearGreat American Beer Festival (2001)
- Gold – SLO ProgressGreat American Beer Festival (2001)
- Silver – Oatmeal StoutGreat American Beer Festival (2001)
- Gold – Extra Pale AleGreat American Beer Festival (2001)
- Gold – I.P.A.Great American Beer Festival (2000)
- Silver – Oatmeal StoutGreat American Beer Festival (2000)
- Bronze – Brickhouse Extra Pale AleGreat American Beer Festival (1996)